Thursday, December 17, 2009

prompt 7

Volunteering at X High School has been a wonderful experience. Learning how to interact with students and how to talk to them is helpful. The one story I gave you earlyier was talking to the girl with the child. She is very proud of her little one. She is raising her the way she feels she needs to be raised . She's not raising her the way anyone else tells her to. She may be getting advice from people but thats just advice. She can take it or can not take it. The way I talked to her though is amazing. I told her she should be proud of what she is doing. Staying in school and having a child is hard yet she's doing it. She wants to make her child proud of her. She wants to give her child the world. Not all expeirences that I had in the classrooms were great though for instance the teacher wasn't there one day and they had other teachers subbing throughout the day. There was this one girl (we will call her student I) that was holding the door closed on two other students. And I told her repeated times that she needs to let them sit down, Both times she said hang on a minute miss. And I said you need to open the door and sit down. She finally ended up listening but sat down and started talking to another student. She started to say that I was yelling at her. I told her I wasnt yelling at her. I was talking to her calmly. She said I wasn't the teacher. I said I was the only adult in the classroom and I was responsible for you so thats why I was telling her what to do. Being a teacher is something that I definatly want to do. But teaching high school students is something I don't want to do while they would understand things more it might be harder to get through to them more. Im sure they would be good students its just that high school is not my thing. Learning different aspects of teaching is great like how to come up with lesson plans and how to actually teach. I think the best part will be once I become a teacher actually seeing my students work finished then I would know or it would be shown that I know how to teach and my students know how to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment