Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Prompt 1

The school that I began volunteering at was A High School. A High School has only been open for a few years. The school is nice. Some things they still do not have yet. They are still pretty new so they have to raise money for things by having fund raisers like hat day and selling candy. Its a nice neighborhood. The shopping center next door is closed. There is a Popeye's down the street. The school feels warm and friendly. The teachers there seam to be very welcoming. The classroom has about 25 students in it. Most of the students are very kind. I think if you come at them differently and you actually give them a chance that they will be willing to learn. If you are negative about them or you have a negativde attitude towards them (I don't like the first class the teacher) they probably wont listen to you. If you stay positive towards them and give them feed back and pay attention to them they will most likely listen to you. I think that it was easier for me than it was for ms.x because I am a younger in age so I can relate better to them. The whole thing is the fact also that teachers are so stricted I think they are so stricked because they have to be although I do not think that they should be strict all the time. I think that if music helps children concentrate then they should be able to listen to it. Phones however should not be allowed in the classroom. Jonathan Kozol is related to this entry because schools should be able to have the funds to get whatever they need for their students. They should not have to raise the funds to have for their students. The funds should already be there. Teachers like Ms. X should not have to take money out of pocket and be buying her art students the material they need. The art supplies and anything else they need should be available.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    I deffinetly agree with you that the school needs to have funds availible to them in order to be able to strive and supply the students with the education they deserve. Kozol outlined the importance of equal opportunities for all students in his speech at Rhode Island Collge, and that point seems to be relatible to your experience. I'm glad you felt welcome and comfortable in your school, because in order for your students to feel comfortable with you, you must first be open and comfortable with them. I do not know if I agree with the fact that children should be able to bring ipods and electronics into classrooms. The students need to learn how to obey rules at a young age, because this ability will be important to have aquired and carried with them throughout their lives.

    ReplyDelete